Monday, January 18, 2010

Are you willing to take action?..

I wanted to share this story - it's quite simple, and doesn't give any extra points to me, but I feel that I should lay it out here.

I was driving a friend some place here in New Jersey. Had my son with us in the back too. Can't remember where exactly we were going...
Don't remember why I was so distracted that day either - may be it had to do with the fact that I wasn't very used to the new car yet, but on one of the lights on Route 10 (the first one in bunch of cars lined up at the intersection waiting for green signal) - we got stuck.  The car engine seemed to have just "died". Light was already green, I tried starting the car and the engine went ON, but died again almost immediately. A lot of annoyed drivers behind me (thank god it was a 2 or 3 lane road *lol*) beeping and cursing... me breaking a sweat... little boy in the back quite displeased - something was clearly wrong and the noise the cars behind us were making - got him very anxious.

That's when I remembered that I wanted to stop at the gas station that morning, but, apparently - among thousands of things daily occupying my mind - simply forgot.

Oops.

I explained to my friend what happened, we got out of the car and started pushing it to the curb. We needed to cross the intersection and push it up to the small parking lot near the flower shop. New Jersey in that area is somewhat hilly, and the parking was higher than the road. I didn't notice when this guy and some police officer joined us in our efforts, they told me - just "drive" it towards there, we'll push it. When that was accomplished, the guy (his name was Chris, that's all I know about him) told us to wait there, he'll go and get us some gas so we could drive to the station and fill it up. 15 minutes later he was back, with a small gas tank (which by the way I went to store and bought later that week, just for a situation like that).

He refused to take any money that my friend was offering him. Explained that he was in the same situation just a few months ago, and that was the reason he had that little gas tank in the car with him.

I took it all somewhat for granted.. no-no, I rrrreeeeeaaally appreciated what he did for us!!! But my friend - he was absolutely fascinated that someone bothered to stop and help out like that - he seemed completely taken by surprise! He mentioned a few times later that day how he couldn't believe there are people like Chris. And with those words I felt bad for the world. But at the same moment there was born hope. As with everything that's going on not to our liking - there's always more and more hope being born :)


No comments:

Post a Comment