Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The wine glass project

One very cozy night I was in Pier 1 and noticed a box with 4 very nice wine glasses, and since we're always short on those when a good company visits (for some reason all the wine glasses we have are in pairs, not fours), decided that fine italian craftsmanship will be much appreciated during those warm evenings of quiet conversations.

The glass filled with deep red liquid on the cover attracted my attention and I decided to try and reproduce an image exactly as it was on the box!

Little did I know that the liquid in the glass that they photographed was probably not wine, at least not a good burgundy wine, probably something very well diluted if not cranberry juice at all :).

Good red wine that I would enjoy on special occasion just wouldn't reflect and pass the light through the same way.

Also all the edges around the glass were so perfect and I'm yet to discover the way to photograph this glass in such a way where every edge is perfectly lit, and wine shows such awesome color on a completely black background without much of post-processing.

Another issue I found was - no matter how hard I tried to clean up all surfaces, thousands to dust specks will show up on a full blown image.

So, here's one of the first tries I did:



And after that I decided that it would be fun to photograph the same glass of wine every once in a while, to put together a nice collection of ready to use lighting techniques for any sort of table photography. So watch out for more action on this project!

No comments:

Post a Comment