Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Consciously happy

We all like to feel good, but most of us don't know how to control that. We're happy when good things happen around us and we're unhappy when the opposite is true. But what about times when things go as they usually do, things we're already used to, things that we "normally" take for granted?

I will exaggerate a little bit, but here's the example:
I wake up in the morning in my big warm comfortable bed that's mine for many years already, get the usual "morning hug" from my son, hear him sing while he brushes his teeth in the bathroom, watch him eat his entire breakfast, just like he always does, see him make silly faces while he's getting dressed for school, remind him to take his backpack, put him in that nice car that I drive every day and don't really appreciate unless I remind myself to do it...
... and the day goes on.

It's about the same with the majority of us. Everything is perfectly fine, everything is smacking fantastic, but it just isn't. Until something bad happens when we realize how lucky and blessed we actually are!

We know we all should be deliriously happy, but we need something more to happen in order to get there.

So there's this thing that I wanted to ask you about:
                        - do you consciously try to be in the state of happiness through your entire day?
                        - and if you do - what difference does it make for you?

For me the simplest thing would be to try and find something around me right this moment that would make my heart feel a little warmer, then something else, again, that makes it feel even better, then again, and again... I try and keep looking for things that excite me. If I don't find any, I go and make some:
- light a candle,
- put good music on,
- eat a fruit,
- call a friend... etc.

Usually I can find something, but sometimes it gets harder. I guess you get used to that too, and it gets more challenging? Is that what it is? That's not funny...

This morning after I dropped my son off at school (always a sad thing to see him walk away from the car with this face... I can't put it to words... makes me miss him so much!) I was reminded that I need to make a trip to Walmart to get some cables, and I didn't really want to go, but decided to get it done and over with. That's when I reached for something around me that would replace that "worse" feeling with warmth and gratitude, and make me feel good again, but couldn't find anything. So I kept on driving, thinking why it's so hard this morning for me to put myself back together and all of a sudden I notice the magical glow on my left... the sun rising! And you know how in winter it's always spectacular - sunrises and sunsets alike :). There went my heart - TA-DAAAH! *lol*
Next thing I know I'm smiling ear to ear, remembering all the sunrises that I've seen while trying to be "that photographer who makes everyone get up before dawn and freezes somewhere outside with the tripod"

And just because the post is always better with a pic or two - this one's from Escalante a few years back, we were road tripping with my husband and our son - just the three of us - I always keep that vacation deep in my heart:



And here I made a friend wake up real early, 'cause I just had to try and shoot at sunrise on location and he was my "fashion" model *snickers* ;). And we caught this scene when we got there...




And the next thought after all that was to come home and write this post about how practically easy it is to make your own life better, consciously, every day. Just take five minutes right now, and FIND something that you normally take for granted, and make it even bigger-better-feeling by musing over all the small details of what you appreciate so much!

Wouldn't that contribute to a "better place" around us? Just to make sure that YOU are happy! After all you're the only person who CAN do that. When you get used to doing this, it becomes second nature too, you won't always have to remember and work on yourself. Our hearts like to feel good and once we teach them how to - they'll just do it without any effort on our part :)

Have a Fantagraphic Wednesday, I'm thrilled to share things here with you, we're all fabulous and unique, remember that!

No comments:

Post a Comment