Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Acting reels and casting

I've been doing actor headshots for some time now and one day this friend of mine asks me - why don't I provide acting reels as part of my services as well - they seem to be one of the most crucial parts of being hired, and interestingly enough, only selected few have them available for viewing when they go through the selection process for the casting. So I asked Bill to answer a few of the questions to sort things out and see what casting directors might be looking for in a reel.

- My name is Bill Rozar and I am the creator of a theatrical glam-rock group called Witches In Bikinis. I write all the songs, am the creative director, record producer, and play guitar and keyboards in the live show.  


What/who do you usually cast for?

- In the five years that Witches In Bikinis has been performing and recording we've had over twenty singers and dancers in the group as well as about a dozen different musicians so I am always looking for talented people.  Currently I am casting for a new group called 'Alien Surfer Babes' that will be surf rock band with three female singers, doing original surf and sci-fi-themed music as well as classic surf songs.

What's your procedure when you're looking for talent? 

- I try to screen people ahead of time as much as possible so that I'm not auditioning hordes of people.  If they just send me a headshot and a resume listing all the shows they've been in, I usually don't get too excited--because, really, they haven't given me anything to get excited about.  The people who most pique my interest are those who, first of all, are excited about what I'm doing and express that in their cover letter, and secondly, give me something more than just a pretty headshot and a list of shows they were in--either an audio recording, or, better yet, a live video of them singing or talking or dancing or whatever it is they do that makes them special.

Also - and almost no one does this - I would like to see a full body shot as well as a headshot.  One of the features of Witches In Bikinis is the  bikinis (and the bodies that fill them).  I need to know that they will look good in a bikini.  If they look just average in their headshot but have a killer body then they are still a strong candidate - but with just a headshot and no body shot I might never have even called them in to audition.


Is there anything particular you're looking for in their headshot? Reel?

A true representation of their natural beauty.  I want to know that THEY are beautiful and not that the photograph is beautiful.  The headshot should capture what makes them uniquely appealing and attractive.  The same goes for the reel; I want to get a real sense of their range and who they are; a balance of close-ups and medium shots, doing a variety of things in different settings and lighting so that I can get a more complete picture of who they are and what they are capable of.

Basically, the more you send me, the more accurate and complete my first impression will be and less time will be wasted by all parties involved.  If I fall in love with your headshot and reel, then the audition is just a formality.

I thank Bill for this helpful information :). If anybody has more specific questions - let me know. I've done some research in my networking community and will write a follow up post with some more insights that I have gathered from film and music industry people.


Have a fantastic day!

No comments:

Post a Comment