Tuesday, November 30, 2010

What's your secret?

The idea of success lies in balance. Success in anything, including business. Even relationships are same. They break up when there's too much of some things and lack of the others.

Searching for that balance is what takes the most time at first stages of developing the business. Passing the stage of not wanting to get out of bed in the morning - so much anxiety in your heart that you almost can't get yourself together to deal with it. Passing multiple stages of sheer unexplainable excitement - for no reason whatsoever - that comes and goes. The best times are when you feel comfortable with what you've done yesterday, about to do today and planning for the next month. These are rare at first. Then they come more and more often... am I making sense?

I strongly believe that finding the balance is key. Once you set the intention want to make this business a success - it will occur by itself. If you let it happen. There has to be a room for it to happen. Remove the obstacles (mostly internal - fears, discomforts). Without that air fire won't burn as smoothly.

I once read somewhere that in order to get ideal projects we need to stop accepting jobs that are less than that. Create space for the big fish. Of course, that might not work for everyone I know, but do you get the idea? Balancing is crucial here too. Yes, we need to pay bills and who knows when the big fish is coming, but we need to have space for it, or be prepared to make space when it comes.

Balancing between several things - new aspect of your life (business), old aspects of your money making activities (whether you intend on keeping them or dodging completely, eventually..), family, physical activities, friends, keeping up with networking, new connections, getting enough healthy sleep, maintaining body in great shape, FAMILY again (what's more important?), keeping that spirit happy and balanced - there is a lot to do, if you know what I mean! I'm trying to even balance them all here in text.

To sort this out I find one of my mentors being the most helpful - he is a fashion photographer and he probably didn't realize that he taught me to cope with this whole balancing act of life. As he was teaching us to direct models - "small changes, keep the main pose, but do small changes at a time" - that is exactly how I apply it in my everyday life. Keep the general focus on the balance and make small changes - one day at a time.

Another thing that makes a huge difference is visualization. We have to take time imagining projects we want, try the situations on, taste them and then put a little mark on the imaginary checklist - whether we want to pursue them or not. We need to polish our desires to achieve. It would probably be easy for someone who "just wants a lot of money". Go for it! That's right. With me it's much harder. As I visualize having a lot of money I see that I want to do only certain things and don't come near me with the others. Then I try and visualize those things that I want and love, and weed out the ones that I only think that I want. And sometimes only the experience itself can show what's ours and what's not. But mostly you can get away with your imagination. If it's trained properly.

I have intentionally spent (and continue to spend) a lot of time visualizing the future, trying on different situations, jobs, projects. Initially I wanted to photograph EVERYTHING. Tough...

Some jobs showed me that I wouldn't really enjoy doing them again. Some things you can imagine that you wouldn't want to do, and some you need to do anyway. Just to see what it is - what bothers you about them - is it the lack of interest, or is it some sort of a fear? If it's fear, than it's only beneficial to take those jobs, until the fear dissipates and creates more space for your ambitions to come true.

This post is becoming very long and since I don't see an end to this inner-conversation with myself, and I don't know if anybody got to these lengthy words - I'll wrap it up and wish all of you out there - a happy search of balance. We will probably never completely get there, none of us, that's what evolution is all about... But that's a whole other conversation.

Have an amazing day~

No comments:

Post a Comment