Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Photography business isn't all about shooting

I think - on the back of my head I always knew it, but when I picked up my first photography business book several months ago (you know, just to kind'a see what's going on down there, no pressure...) - I realized that it's very hard to pull this business off alone! You have GOT to hire people to do all the non-creative work, otherwise you'll be stuck in balancing your book, doing taxes, coming up with contracts, licking stamps, composing and ordering marketing material, delivering stuff, and what not!

There're shoot stylists for a reason, there're art directors for a reason, there're set constructors as well as photo and personal assistants - all for a very good reason.

That said... now that I'm on my way of actually doing it - taking on a photography route full time - I find myself constantly listening and looking around for who might be a good person to hire - and help me out with work that accountants, lawyers, assistants, second shooters usually are good at. Networking is a perfect niche to provide with all such answers, but most importantly, I find that if I'm open and flexible enough, people show up in my life in just the perfect time for them and me.

I had perfect teachers just when I was ready for them, perfect opportunities - exactly when I was prepared enough to pull them off, as well as a perfect creative team - all freelancers - who came into my life happy and ready to work with me and pleased with what I can provide them with.



So, look out, heart open, and LISTEN - the next person who's going to let you leverage your business - may be the person who rings you next :)

No comments:

Post a Comment