Monday, February 16, 2009

Going green?

Then this little article is for you.

I'll make it short by listing some simple ideas/techniques that we can use to help eliminate post-products and increase reusability:

1) Going green? Go digital. Film and processing/printing is oh so toxic. Don't get me wrong, I LOVES film. But for non-art everyday business - DIGITAL is definitely my first choice.

2) Make image delivery all digital where possible.
- External drives for the archive may turn out to be the power eater, you may want to consider using those online storage providers. But if you gone solar, that problem is probably not a problem :). Online providers are not linked to your home or office though, which makes the archive available to you from just about anywhere in the world.
- Burn less CDs/DVDs where client is happy to get photos by email or through other digital transfer means.

3) For your studio - try buying used materials for canvases

4) Go paperless - invoices, statements, contracts... you name it. All in the computer, nothing gets printed

5) Online proofing - let clients pick the images online.

6) Look out for "green" batteries, solar chargers. Here's one of the sources, I have not tried it myself yet, but am looking into getting us some of those!

7) Follow discussions of eco friendly photographers, they are always looking out for quality eco paper and inks, you can get some very nice suggestions out there, based on your needs. I, personally, subscribe and participate in LinkedIn group "Green Imaging Network". But you can also find useful threads in other photographer's groups, as people become more and more aware of their responsibilities to the planet.

8) Use recycled to print your marketing materials or order from eco friendly printers

9) You can also follow this blog, as I'm constantly searching and trying to systemize what I find about green ways of photographing :)


Next, I'm planning to systemize all information I have about green photographer's friends - paper, printers, ink, service providers. STAY TUNED!!

No comments:

Post a Comment