Tuesday, February 8, 2011

You will never see again! (clearly...)

Today I had my eye exam. The first one - which would mark the official beginning of the vision improvement experiment that I started.

I'll have to do it again in a month, but will probably choose another doctor, because this one will clearly have trouble giving me another eye exam in just a month.
"WHY?? When she just did it and gave me a perfectly fine prescription for the glasses, which, in her opinion, I should have gotten right away from her shop anyway."

My eyes are still dilated and I'm feeling quite a bit queasy. She didn't give me my prescription, but I asked for some sort of a report that I could keep for my records and was promised to have it shortly - via e-mail.

The only useful thing I recall her saying is that I see as good as "twenty eighty", and ideally it should be "twenty-twenty". I didn't receive an explanation as to what these numbers mean and how I can relate them to my previous experiences with eye doctors. She was perfectly professional, and didn't smile even once. In an attempt to make a connection with her, I probed the grounds by asking if she thinks there are any exercises I could do to improve my vision, instead of simply putting glasses on. She was very straight in putting me back where, in her professional opinion, I should be. I don't know. I can hardly take seriously anybody who would openly try to persuade me that I can't do something I set my mind to. Especially when I already have experienced some hint of improvement.

To my surprise, my left eye sees much better than the right one. It used to be the other way around. Everything else seems to be the same as 4 years ago, 7 years ago, 11 years ago... Nothing's changed.

There's a slight astigmatism somewhere and the small nearsightedness all over. The kind that requires you to wear corrective lenses when you drive or fly though.

So, let's see what happens in a month :). I already have a referral to another doctor who I'll probably end up going to at the end of this month/period.

Exercises are fun. Eyes are getting much easier to focus on those things that I used to see blurry all the time. I'm getting used to practicing "seeing clearly", it still takes an effort, but I'm also getting better at remembering to do that.

During the exercise I feel slight burning in the eyes. I read the same thing from other folks who were trying it. I ran a basic research on existing articles and here are a few interesting links:

What your optometrist won't tell you
Healthy living - see clearly without glasses
Bates method described on Wikipedia

Fun, fun, fun!

And if you're following this project - let me know somehow, I'd love to know if it's interesting to anybody out there in the blogosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment